27 October 2006

Tax Purposes (hahaha)

This is a story that at first I was unsure about putting on the blog. I didn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities. However, after discussing it with Lead Momma, and listening to her hysterical laughter, I decided to write it. This one goes in the glad-my-life-isn't-this-messed-up category.
So, there is a guy I work with--he can remain nameless for our purposes. He went to visit some friends of his who used to work in our office, but have since moved to the Southwest. While he was down there, he married them. Yes, I said them. When I got to work on Monday night, he came over to my desk, and was waving his hand in front of my face, showing his wedding bands. Yes, I said bands. So I looked at him and said, "did you get married?" And he said, "yeah, I did." Of course at this point, I'm really confused because I didn't know he had been dating anyone. My next question was, "Who did you marry?" And he named the woman he had gone to see, and her life partner. I didn't say anything for a minute, and then said, "but how? Isn't that illegal?" Not even bothering to get into the why anyone would want to marry a lesbian couple in the first place. He said something about being Mormon now, which I didn't buy for a second, because regardless of religion, polygamy is against the law. Then he said something ridiculous about it being for tax purposes, although for the life of me, I have yet to be able to figure out what tax purposes those could possibly be. So I guess he's going to leave in the spring and buy a ranch near where they live. Explain something to me, how is this going to work? Why would anyone want to marry two women? And what are the tax benefits?
Lead Momma thought I was making this story up. There is no way I have an imagination like that. One of the ladies just sighed and shook her head, not really knowing what to make of it, the other almost fell out of her chair. Will was just incredulous.
I keep having to jump up while I'm writing. I'm baking cookies, Will requested chocolate chip, and I'm struggling with the miserable oven here. It can only bake one tray at a time, and while when it is empty the temp is just perfect, once a tray is put in, the temp spikes, so it's kind of a challenge. I hope he appreciates these cookies. I actually just hope they come out okay. There goes the timer again!So, what really annoys me is the yield on just about any cookie recipe. I mean really, this one that I use for making chocolate chip cookies says you should be able to make 6-8 dozen cookies. I have NEVER been able to get more than 3 dozen cookies out of the dough. How small are the cookies that are made in the test kitchen?
The more I write here, the more I understand what Lead Momma has been saying to me about journaling in a scrapbook. Sure I get the who, what, where, and when down, but I'm never very good at the how or why. And that's what is so great about all of her scrapbooks, she writes from the heart, and gets what is so important on the paper. And while I'm always able to discuss it logically, I've just never been good at it. Now I get it. I think this has been my "Ah-ha" moment. And I have so many ideas of what I want to put into future scrapbooks. I can hardly wait to work on my London scrapbook. Speaking of which, I found some bus tours that take you from London to Stonehenge and Bath and Salisbury, so that sounds pretty cool.
So, at least the cookies didn't burn. They're crispier than I usually like them, but the flavor rocks. Hopefully everyone will like them!

4 comments:

Marie said...

Crispy cookies are better than no cookies for sure!

I'm glad I could lend a journaling hand :)

Big hugs

:: Katrin said...

Hi traveler girl,

seems like the lesbian couple has chosen the father of their future children. It's quite common now. I've personally gone through a lot of 'father-history', so I better won't comment any further.

Hope the cookies were successful ;-)

Marshmallow26 said...

Hello Travel Girl,

You made my saliva drooling, yummy.

Is that common in the States? I mean marrying two women? and Lisbian?? That is religiously forbidden...

You take care

travel girl said...

Katrin,
You're exactly right. I think that's exactly what they have done, as far as finding a father for their children. By the way, you have nothing to worry about with your English...:)
Marsh,
I'm not sure if it's common here, I've not heard of it around here at least, and polygamy is against the law. I think if people are doing it, they aren't talking about it. Glad you're back, have you taken the GRE? How did it go? I'm planning on going back to get my master's but I have to finish paying for my other degrees first...