05 October 2006

my crazy life at work

Today's post has nothing to do with travel, it's just what has been going on in my life. As I mentioned, I am recently single. I'm not loving it, but I'm certainly not hating it either. I'm beginning to realize that there are other fish in the sea, and I don't need to be taken for granted. There is a guy at work, I'll call him the shy one (tso) that I'm starting to like. We work on different shifts, so I only see him for a few minutes each day. Every time I see him, he gets a great big smile on his face, and we chat for a little while. And unless I need some remedial training on reading signals, this guy is interested in me. (Remember, he's really shy) So a few weeks ago I asked him to have coffee with me. He immediately accepted the invite, only to cancel later, or rather ask for a rain check. I'm beginning to think that I stole his thunder by asking him out first. We still flirt, and he went out of his way to make sure I knew that he had my phone number saved on his phone. So, I've been just going with the flow. We continue to get to know each other a little better each day. I've forgotten how much fun it is to get to know a new person. He makes me smile, and I make him laugh. I wait and I hope...
There is another guy at work, who I have no interest in, who has asked me out. At first I said yes, since he caught me off guard with the question. I had a day to think about it, and first, I don't want to mess up anything with TSO, and I just don't know if I'm ready for this. And I'm really not interested in this guy. Friends have said that I should have some practice dates since it's been so long; but I figure I should at least have some interest. So I told him today that I just couldn't.
Now for the complicated part of my work life...My best friend at work is a wonderful guy. He's funny, intelligent, thoughtful, and always has a great wisecrack. We flirt a lot. In the past 5 months or so, we've gotten much closer than we had been. We were hired at the same time, about 4 years ago, and were always friends, but lately something is different. Both of us have acknowledged it, but we can't figure out what has changed. I can tell him anything, and he feels the same way. For so long, I never thought of him that way, he was always just my friend. He apparently has feelings for me, but never thought that I would. Sounds great, right? Here's the rub, he' s married, with 2 kids. I know that this is insane. I need to get over how I feel, and enjoy our friendship, which I don't want to lose. Work would be miserable without his friendship. This is so confusing. It's flattering that he likes me (it's nice to be reminded that you are attractive to the opposite sex) but WRONG WRONG WRONG...
In unrelated work news, the fiscal year ended on Saturday night, and with it our rating period. I had my performance review with my supervisor last night. I was floored with how good it was. Outstanding right across the board on all five criteria. I just had to give myself a little pat on the back for that one!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Like sand through the hourglass....so are the Days of our Lives