05 November 2006

Trip to see the Parents...

So, I've returned from visiting my parents for the weekend. It's usually a pretty stressful experience. They are wonderful people, but we drive each other nuts and usually end up arguing the whole time. This time was different for whatever reason. It was nice. There were a few things that worried me, but hopefully I'm overreacting... Mom took Dad and I out to dinner for our birthdays. His is today, and mine is in two weeks. There was some weirdness though, Mom was showing me where all the "important documents" were in the house so I would be able to find them "when the time comes" (her words not mine). I guess they are in the process of updating their wills and listing me as having power of attorney and whatnot. Since I'm their only child, it doesn't surprise me, but who wants to think about that? I guess I'm lucky that they are making these kind of decisions now so that I don't need to make them later. But still, thinking about the mortality of your parents is not such fun. With any luck, the next time I go down there (Christmas time) we won't need to discuss this again... I realize that this is a part of getting older and being a grown-up but it wasn't fun. Thank God they are both very healthy active individuals and, God willing, will be for a very long time.
It was at least a lovely weekend to drive back and forth from their house. And it was actually sunny where they live!!! I was so excited, and actually couldn't remember the last time it was sunny here. Gotta love it, at least it's not raining.
I wasn't going to write about what really worried me while I was there, but what the heck. My Dad is a wonderful man, I love him dearly, but he's an alcoholic. Growing up with him wasn't horrendous, but it wasn't all roses either. As I got older, it got progressively worse. About 10 years ago, when my grandfather died (my Mom's dad) things came to a head, and Dad and I stopped speaking, because of his drinking, for almost a year. Shortly after that, he quit drinking. It was the first time I actually got to know my father. It's been great. He's really quite funny and fun to be around. However, he has started drinking again. I guess it's only red wine that he drinks, and is only 1 to 2 glasses a day, but still, it's drinking. And last night at dinner it was 4 glasses, not one or two(two at home, and two at the restaurant). I'm just worried that this is a slippery slope that he could be headed back down again.
Anyway, in completely unrelated work news, Will and I were talking on Friday night. (Big surprise, I know) But whatever the conversation was about, he said that he thought that I was sweet sometimes. I was blown away by that, and I'm not really sure why. I guess I don't really often think of myself as sweet, and really never thought he saw me that way. And the more I think about it, I can't remember being called sweet for a really long time. It made me smile. He makes me feel good about myself, I guess I couldn't ask for more in a friend...
Marsh, be sure to read the comments associated with the previous post! (My Attitude Adjustment)

2 comments:

Marshmallow26 said...

Dear TG,

I've already read them heheh.

It is so nice of you to spend some time with your parents, are you really the only child?? No sisters or brothers?? WOW!! I guess you are a spoiled daughter then!! (Kiddn')

About my study, it is a long way, I applied to study in the States through one of the educational institutions supported by the US gov. so called " Fulbright"

I passed the interview and took one test but need to take the other wich is for Master degree next week...

God willing if every thing goes well for me and I pass all tests, I would be heading to the States in July 07.

This is my dream and I pray for it to comes true.

:)

Continue writing you are getting better and best.

travel girl said...

Marsh,
Yes I really am the only child...no siblings at all. I may have been well taken care of, but certainly not spoiled, My parents taught me to be grateful for all they were able to give me :) But everybody says that only children are spoiled...Mom and Dad joke and tell me that I'm their favorite ha ha ha
I do hope you will be here next summer! I'll think good thoughts!