12 April 2007

Alan Johnston

As those of you who usually read this blog, you know that I stay completely away from the political arena. However, today has changed that. I was driving home from work a few hours ago, and was listening to the BBC like I do every morning. There was an update on a story I've been following for weeks.
Today is an International Day of Solidarity for Alan Johnston. For those of you who haven't heard the story, Johnston is a journalist for the BBC who has been reporting from and living in Gaza. He was kidnapped on his way home from work four weeks ago. This is the longest that any journalist has been held in Gaza. This morning, the BBC yet again held a press conference regarding his plight and his father read a letter that he wrote to Alan as well as to his kidnappers. It was truly the most heartbreaking thing I have ever listened to, and as I was driving I started crying. Crying for a man I've never met, only heard on the radio, reporting on the plight of the Palestinians in Gaza. It's been reported that he was always truly concerned about getting the Palestinian story out to the western world. He reported with true compassion. And for that, he was repayed with kidnapping. I cried for his family, who don't know his whereabouts, or his condition. I can't imagine the emotions they must be feeling. I cried for other journalists who must be thinking "There but for the grace of God go I". And so I really felt that I needed to blog about this. And I wonder, what has this kidnapping accomplished? I sincerely hope and pray for his speedy release. And I thank you all for indulging me in a rather non-typical TG post!

I wanted to include the text of the letter from his family. You can find plenty more information about Alan Johnston here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6546059.stm
Text: Family's letter to Alan Johnston
As part of an international day of action appealing for the release of BBC journalist Alan Johnston, his father, Graham, read out an open letter to the journalist from his family.
Hello old son,
I don't know if you will see this but I just felt that I wanted you to know how distressed and sorry we all are that you were taken.
You had warned us frequently that the chances were always there that you would be kidnapped and we were prepared in a way for this to happen. Nevertheless when it came, it was still a considerable shock.
Now, you have not to worry about us. Your mum and Trini and I are hanging in there and trying to keep a stiff upper lip. The support we have had from your friends and colleagues at home and abroad has been phenomenal, especially the BBC who have cosseted us and to whom our profuse thanks go for keeping us abreast of the situation.
There are so many people worldwide all hoping and praying for your release, not least of which I'm sure, are the vast majority of the Palestinian population, many of whom have told us they are ashamed that you were kidnapped. We know how much you enjoyed your work there.
Your fellow local journalists are doing a magnificent job holding demonstrations calling for your early release. There is so much sympathy for your plight around the globe and we are overwhelmed at such support, all of which helps to buoy us up during the past seemingly interminable four weeks.
I would like to say something to those who are holding you. You have family. Please think about what this is doing to my family, including in particular the distress and deep concern Alan's mother and sister have had to endure for all these long weeks. As I have said before please let my son go now, today.
Alan, all our heartfelt warmest fondest love is sent to you from all your family and in the fervent hope that you will be released unharmed. Chin up my son, Trini, Raymond, Alastair and as always your ever-loving mum and dad.

2 comments:

Marshmallow26 said...

Hello TG,

It is really a moving letter...you know, we are living that issue every day, the last one was couple of days...when unknown people kidnapped one of my church's guys and asked for $80,000 as ransom to set him free...his parents who are of limited income can't afford such a thing! The church held a prayer service for him...yesterday they let him go for free...Thanks to God.

Prayers can do miracles. lets not lose hope and start praying for Alan as well...

travel girl said...

Marsh,
I can't imagine living with that fear all the time. I mean I really just can't imagine it.

You're right about the prayers!!
tg