17 July 2007

Three Days and Counting

It's only 3 days until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is released. Preschool Queen and I are going to Barnes and Noble for the midnight release of the book. This is the first time either of us have done this, but we thought it would be fun since it's the last of the series.

It has been 10 years since the first Harry Potter book came out, and many readers have grown up with Harry. I didn't start reading the books in '97. In fact, I didn't start reading them until sometime around when Prisoner of Azkaban came out. I was in college at the time, and one of my professor's (in fact, my favorite professor) was talking about the books, and the fact that the third in the series was about to come out. She thought I would like them and encouraged me to read the first two that had already been published. So I did. I read the first two books very quickly; and I borrowed her copy of the third book and read it in one day. I was completely hooked. The writing is exceptional. Now, I realize that this is nothing that hasn't already been said about the books or JK. She has done something that no other writer in recent memory has been able to do. I mean there is no midnight release party for the most recent Danielle Steele books.

As the day comes closer and closer, I wonder more and more how the series will end. Will Harry survive? Who's side is Snape on? And where are all the Horcruxes? As much as I want to get the book and devour it immediately, I know that this is it. Once I'm finished reading, there are no more on the horizon. There will never be another group of readers who have to wait for the next installment (sometimes for an agonizingly long period of time). And so I wonder, will it satisfy all of my expectations? Will all my questions be answered? Only Three more days to wait!

No comments: