22 July 2007

JK Rowling is the Best Author Ever

Okay there will be spoilers in this post. If you don't want to know what happens, stop reading.

This was the best Harry Potter book ever! From the very first page, the action was off and running, and there was no stopping until the very last word. (Which was NOT scar, btw...)

And to those of you out there who say it's just a children's book, to you I say. Read this one. It is most certainly not for children. People die left and right. From the very beginning, Voldemort is torturing and killing. Mad-eye Moody dies within the first few chapters. And while the actual death did not bother me terribly, the reaction of the members of the Order of the Phoenix did. Hedwig died at the same time. That devistated me. And then George is maimed. In true twins humor, the jokes roll in as they deal with the loss of his ear.

I was furious when Ron left Harry and Hermione. And didn't understand until he came back and talked about wearing the horcrux. Last night, as Will was reading, he called me and wondered if the doe patronus belonged to Snape. This morning I was shocked to learn he was right! Nice going, Will! And his logic was dead on. It was all because of Lily.

Can I say that Neville was brilliant in this one? He had truly come into his own. What a brave young man!

I was thrilled that Snape was good. All along. I am thrilled that she explained why Dumbledore always trusted him. I love that Harry was able to call him the bravest man he ever knew. And that at his end, Snape gave Harry all of his memories of Lily. It broke my heart that he loved her all his life. I can only imagine how much his was broken.

I sobbed when Dobby was killed. But he died saving Harry Potter. What a truly brave little elf. And Kreature! How much he changed! He ROCKED! I'm amazed that he completely changed his tune. And the key was Regulus.

That Lupin and Tonks died so shortly after Teddy was born was simply heartbreaking. I wish JK had told us who he lived with and who raised him once they were gone. I am so glad that they were able to have some happiness together before their murders.

And Percy redeemed himself! That was just fantastic! It is so hard to be able to admit when you are wrong. Percy had a hard time doing that, but when it came down to it, he was there when it mattered.

I'm also glad that Malfoy (Draco) survived as well. I was pleasantly surprised that he protected Harry, Ron and Hermione when they were taken to the Malfoy Manor.

I think the death that was most painful for me was Fred's. I was so sure that the twins would survive the war. I never thought one of them would die. But I suppose that is how war is.

And so, I have to buy Will dinner. Although I was sort of right. Harry did die, sort of. And then he came back and was able to kill Voldemort. So in the end, I owe him dinner.

Finally, Mrs Weasley killing Bellatrix was simply brilliant! Who would have thought? Now all there is to do is re-read!

No comments: