19 December 2006

Ramblings

I think, looking back, one of the things I treasure most about my trip was the silence. Because I was alone I had a lot of time to reflect on the amazing places I was visiting. I think I was able to absorb many more of the details because of that. It also afforded me the luxury of not being labeled 'the ugly American'.
I can say that I'm in a better space mentally and emotionally. I feel much more at peace and a sense of self-confidence that had been missing for so long. I'm quite proud of the fact that I did this alone, and can't wait until the next solo trip I take!
In the details of daily life, Preschool Queen and I hung out on Saturday. We really had a great time. She surprised me by telling me how much she missed me while I was gone. I'm not really sure why this surprised me, but I don't think she's ever put it so profusly before. Anyway, we went shopping and the goal was to finish my Christmas list...What is that saying about the best laid plans? It was certainly a successful shopping day, but I didn't cross a thing off my list. Oh well, the Internet is a beautiful thing. I'm just about done with the exception of baking, which I'll be doing throughout the week. Time to battle the oven again. And I'm just waiting for the post office to open so I can mail the few presents out to my out of town friends.
And hopefully my photos from London will arrive today so I can get started on the book for Captain Contrary. I can't believe how much I missed him while I was gone! I'm actually babysitting him on Thursday afternoon. His school has a half day and Preschool Queen asked me if I could hang out with him. It should be lots of fun. I think I'll try to come up with some sort of project for him to do to give to his mom and dad for Christmas (can you tell I used to be a teacher?) So, there won't be much sleeping on Thursday...oh well!

No comments: