04 December 2006

The Big Bus Tour

Okay, so on Sunday I took the Big Bus Tour of the city. For £20, the ticket is good for 48 hours and you can get on and off the bus as often as you want, or you can stay on for the entire 2 1/2 hour tour of the city. I decided to stay on for the whole tour yesterday. It was great, and this morning I'm going to go back and get off at a few different parks and whatnot to get some pictures that I wasn't able to get before. The depth of the history of this city is just amazing to me. I think one of my favorite things that I saw was a bridge over the Thames nicknamed the Ladies bridge. Construction was finished in 1942, mainly by women, since all the men were busy fighting the Germans.
And last night I saw a show at the London Palladium, which is just beautiful by the way, and the theatre where the Sound of Music is currently running. But the show I saw was called Christmas with the Rat Pack. The premise of the show was one of the nights when Frank, Sammy and Dean preformed at the Sands in Las Vegas. So, they sang traditional Christmas music, but also did the songs that these men were famous for. And I have to say, they sounded so much like those three men, I was astounded, and they even looked like them. I'm sure if you were very close, you could see differences, but from the audience it was like looking at Frank, Sammy and Dean. I loved it!!
I've been riding the Tube a lot in the past few days, and last night I was a some stop somewhere. I was standing on the platform waiting for my train, and I was watching the train opposite as it was loading and then moving on. Now I was pretty far underground, having to go under another train. And as I was standing there, I started thinking about how terrifying it must have been to have been in the tube when it was bombed. I can't imagine having it fill with smoke and fire on both ends. And as I was thinking about that, I also started thinking about the human spirit, and how it just refuses to give in. Sure, after 9/11 some Americans were afraid to fly, but a majority just went about their lives; and the same is true of the British with traveling on the Tube. I did however, notice that there are not garbage cans in the stations anywhere. But it's remarkably clean, and well lit and safe.

No comments: