07 December 2006

The Many Places I've Been

So, I realize that it's been a few days since I've written, but I've been so busy seeing this amazing city, and then falling into bed absolutely exhausted. I think the good thing has been that being so busy during the day has allowed me to sleep well at night, something that I've been unable to do at home lately. The bad news is that although I've been blaming the way I feel on the pollution in the Underground, I think I may be sick. Not that I'm acknowledging it or anything. As far as I'm concerned, I can be sick on the plane on the way home, not before then. They do however have some very cool cough drops that are OTC which actually have antibiotics in them, and they seem to be helping.
So, since I've written, I went to the British Museum, saw Mary Poppins, went to the British Library, St Paul's Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey and heard Handel's Messiah in concert at St Paul's Cathedral. Also went on a walk in the city focusing on the Blitz. So, where to begin. I guess at the beginning with the Museum. It was just amazing, but I guess I didn't get the memo that it was school field trip day. It seemed like there were a million children running around. And I do mean running and yelling. Now for me, it's a museum, and I really think the chaperons should have done a better job of keeping the children under control. The exhibits were amazing nonetheless. My favorite of course was the Egyptian section, it was my main purpose for going. I do however have one issue with the whole thing, the mummies. I didn't think that I would feel this way, but when I was standing there looking at these people, because they are people, I felt an overwhelming sadness. It doesn't seem like they are allowed their peace, being in a museum like that with people being disrespectful, taking photos and whatnot. Maybe I was over-reacting, but I cleared out of that room as quickly as possible. The great hall was just amazing, so full of light, and just simply beautiful, and to think that it was used just as storage until just recently.
Next was Mary Poppins. It was just great! I did have to get over the fact that it was not Julie Andrews, and it's not just like the movie, it's longer and there are parts that may be in the book but not the movie, but like I said, it was wonderful. The singing was simply lovely; and the actor who played Bert was actually an American (the only one in the play). And there was more hinting at a love story between Bert and Mary. It was quite sweet. So, completely two thumbs up on that one. Very worth the cash. And to be honest, I haven't done anything in this city that wasn't worth what I paid for it.
The British Library is situated right next to King's Cross Station (yes, the one from Harry Potter) too bad it doesn't look anything like what is described in the book or shown in the movie. The train station that is used in HP2 is actually St Pancreas, which is right next to King's Cross. I took some pictures, but unfortunately the building is undergoing a restoration, so there is much scaffolding in all of the photos. The library is a newer building, rather modern architecture. I think the Queen dedicated it in 1998. Anyway, they have a small gallery with some of their more famous books on display. It was simply amazing to see history like that. The have one of the first King James Bibles, the Magna Carta, one of the first written copies of Beowulf as well as hand written copies of lyrics to some of the Beatles more famous songs. They also have Jane Austen's writing desk; and pages from Leonardo DaVinci's notebooks. Like I said, simply amazing.
More later, as I'm getting quite hungry.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Your adventures are making my day for sure! Your reaction to the mummies I think comes from a place of caring and respect for who those people once were. I can't wait to see the pictures! :)