04 February 2007

New Medications are such Fun

I haven't posted recently, or as often as I'd like. That's just how it is. I have felt rather miserable this week. The new medication that I've been taking for the PCOS is really interesting. And by interesting I mean rather awful. The doctor warned me that it would make me sick until my body got used to it, so she started me off on a smaller dose, and our goal is to work up to the therapeutic dose over the course of the next month. Now seriously, when a doctor looks at you and says that these meds are going to make you sick, you should really listen. And the dose I'm on right now is only 500 mg; therapeutic is 2000 mg. I'm really glad we're starting out small. Seriously, the whole week has been one long experience of nausea. Friday night, Will and I were chatting and, I realized that it had been 24 whole hours that I hadn't felt nauseous...so I said as much...famous last words (some day I'll learn not to do this...) I went home and fell asleep, and by the time I woke up, there was the familiar nausea. What fun. Today, the dosage ups. Should be another fun week. I love ginger ale.
One thing I did learn this week is regarding the label on prescriptions that says "Take with food or milk". So, I took the pill with food. What I didn't realize is that they mean "Take with protein." Now really, how hard is it to write that? And am I the only person that didn't know that when they say 'food' they actually mean 'protein'?
And now that I've had a week to think about this, it's become much more psychological for me. My body is not doing what a normal female body is supposed to do. I am finding that this has had a much more profound effect on me than I expected. It's making me feel unattractive, undesirable, un-feminine, and not at all sexy. I feel defective, broken. There's the voice in my head that questions why any man would want a woman who may not be able to give him offspring. Will told me that none of this is remotely true. Now I just need to work on believing him. Although I must say, he's never lied to me before (he can't) and it doesn't seem like this would be the time for him to start. And I have to say, when we were talking about this and I started crying, he didn't freak out like a lot of guys do when women cry. He just listened. I'm so lucky to have him in my life.

3 comments:

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
travel girl said...

lead momma,
not sure what happened, didn't mean to delete your comments, but I hit the wrong button. So sorry. thanks for the cracker suggestions, too funny. I have some multi-grain ones for this week. Really sick of cereal...
tg

Marshmallow26 said...

Hi TG,

I am so happy to hear that you are doing good...you will forget about this nausea as soon as you get use to it and since it leads to a progress, so don't worry dear.
Don't delete my comments LOL

God be with you