08 February 2007

HP #7

I know the announcement came out last week, and everybody has probably heard, but JK Rowling and Scholastic announced the release date for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the final book in the series. It's coming out on July 21st. I am so very excited about this. I've already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon. I also ordered a copy for Captain Contrary (I started buying them for him when he was born, and have continued as each one comes out). July will truly be a Harry Potter month, the 5th movie on the 13th, and then just 8 days later, the book will be here. I think the only person I've encountered who is as excited as I am is Will. This is one of the things that we share, we are both true Harry Potter nuts. And since the release date was named (well, before that really) we've been discussing how Harry will defeat Voldemort (or even if he will defeat him). And this is something that we completely disagree on, I think that Harry is going to die in the process, if you will, he'll sacrifice himself for the good of humanity. Will completely disagrees with me, and thinks that Harry and Ginny will walk off into the sunset together. So, of course, we bet on the outcome, and the person who is wrong, has to buy dinner. It actually cracks me up how serious our conversations can be about a work of fiction. And so the countdown begins!
I do have to say though, as excited as I am, I'll also be a little bit sad about the end of the series. No more new books to look forward to, no new adventures. But getting to read how Rowling concludes the series will be great. I have no doubt that I'll be finished with the book before the end of the weekend (when a HP book comes out, I don't do anything but read.) and I made Will promise he wouldn't do something crazy like read only a chapter a day to make the whole thing last longer. I couldn't stand not being able to talk to him about it right away.

No comments: