11 February 2007

The GRE

Now that I've decided to apply to Grad School, I reluctantly realize that it's time to think about taking the GRE. Nothing unnerves me more that standardized tests. I can't even begin to explain how much these kinds of things stress me out. Bottom line, I don't test well. What usually ends up happening is I freak out about my weaknesses, which of course, would be the math section. I HATE MATH. I can't put it any more clearly than that.
Lead Momma has been studying for the GRE as well, and has actually taken a few practice tests as well. After one of these events, she called and we were chatting about the exam. One thing that she brought up was a math problem that involved several triangles and the instructions to find the angles. Right. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Sure I did fine in Geometry and Algebra when I was in High School, but I graduated WAY TOO LONG AGO!!! Dr Spaz really can't understand what the big deal is about the math portion of this test. He's a math wiz, gotta love those engineers. Lead Momma and I both got degrees in Elementary Education. I joke that the reason I did this (instead of Middle School and High School) was because I figured I could at least teach third grade math... Dr Spaz asked her when she taught sign and co-sign. She just looked at him funny, and said that she thought that came sometime in high school. He said it was something he was taught as a child (ahh, education in communist Russia...) My response to this exchange was: sign, co-sign? What IS that? When will I need to use that information in daily life? So as you can see, I'll be studying a lot of math. Anyone who has taken the GRE and has any tips, they'd be very welcome...
The next thing about this test, why do I need to take a test about math? My desired program has NOTHING to do with math. Not even close. What is the point of seeing if I can find all the angles of a triangle? Will and I have discussed this at length. I was sharing with him the conversation that Lead Momma and I had about the triangle question, and he wanted to know who would really care about the angles of a triangle. I'm sure there's some reason for it; I just can't seem to see what it is. Sure, a math test makes sense if you're looking to get a Master's in some sort of science or math related field. I want a degree in Diplomacy. Reading the course descriptions, no math, none whatsoever. What's the point? Somebody help me out here!

3 comments:

Marie said...

x(1y + 7h -19d)/1920 = WTF!!!!

travel girl said...

LOL!!!
That was hysterical! Actually sitting here laughing out loud!

Marshmallow26 said...

Hello TG,

You are the oposite of me...I did good in Math section when I ook the GRE test in Nov 06..but not in English, nonetheless I am still waiting for my scores to be picked up...

There are many books of GRE online, I recommend you order some from Amazon...

Good luck...be strong and you are in my prayers