10 January 2007

Totally Random Thoughts

One of the women I work with is slightly technologically challenged. Now I'm not saying that I'm a technology wiz, but she really takes the cake. She's an late middle-aged woman, she's one of the women I'm going on the cruise with. She's kind of like the slightly crazy aunt in the family (you know who I'm talking about, everyone has or knows someone like this woman). Anyway she got an iPod for Christmas. She brought it to work with her last night; and watching her with it was just hysterical. I laughed all night long. For example she would turn it on and instead of putting the earphones in her ears she would hold it up to her ear (like you would with an old portable radio). It just absolutely cracked me up. My favorite thing about this woman is the fact that she can laugh at herself in these situations as well. My bigger point is about individuals and technology. While she's not totally computer savvy, she tries and learns along the way. There are so many people (another friend of mine, for example) who won't even try. Her husband has a computer with internet access, and she refuses to learn how to use it...although she continually talks about wanting to learn, when he offers she freaks out. I just don't understand. This is my primary mode of communication with my friends and colleagues. It has made life so much easier, what with working different shifts from the rest of the 'normal' world. And any info you could ever possibly want (and even tons you don't want) is right at your fingertips.
My favorite football team (the Patriots) won on Sunday afternoon! Not that it was a very big surprise, they are an incredibly strong team, especially during the playoffs. Anyway, my point is that Will and I had a made a bet on the outcome of the game; and I won (he doesn't seem to understand that you never bet against the Patriots in January...) His favorite team (the Eagles) won on Sunday as well; so he can't have too much to complain about... I love this time of year! And after the Superbowl, only 2 weeks to the Daytona 500!!

3 comments:

Marie said...

Holy cow.....maybe she had heard about the new iphone and thought she had gotten a blackmarket one (ha!!)

Marshmallow26 said...

Dear TG,

Oh nooo...we are not supposed to laugh at that type of people but helping them instead...Like you said that one of your friends doesn't know how to access to the net or so...

Take me as an Example I prefer using my old cellphone rather than buying the last updated one because I feel way too backward when it comes to use it. ;P

travel girl said...

Marsh,
not laughing at her, laughing with her. She has a terrific sense of humor, and was able to see the funny.
And I'd love to help my friend become less afraid of the internet, but unfortunately she won't even go near a computer. Her choice I guess.
Hope you're great!
tg