24 May 2007

New Happenings

I'm applying for Grad School!!! Like now. And if I get in, I'll be starting in September!!! I'm excited and nervous and thrilled at the opportunity. Okay, so I've been talking about it for a while, but here's the run down on what has happened recently.

With where I am at work, I'm stuck. I can't move further up the pay scale because I'm maxed out at my office. In order to make the next jump, I need either field experience (of which I have none) or a Master's degree. Norwich University has a wonderful program in Diplomacy, which would open up all sorts of doors for me. Anyway, they have posted MANY positions for Adjudications, which is the next pay grade up from mine. Basically, the job is with Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) and it's responsibilities include adjudicating applications. It's not at all what I want to do. It's 180 degrees from where I want to be. I want to get further into the Intel side of things. I was told to apply to further my career, but I think that the Masters will more effectively do that for me. Anyway...last night at work we were talking about all of this (most people in my office are applying) and I was lamenting back and forth what the right thing to do was. Will looked at me and basically told me to get off my butt and apply for Grad School so I could get the job I want. Gotta love that he's there for the push whether or not I want it. His point was that I want to leave the area and don't want to do that without a job on the horizon, and that this was the best way to go about being able to head in the direction I want. So, I called this afternoon and I'm applying. Now I need to find the money. Hello financial aid!!! It's only money, right? And this is "good debt". As if there was such a thing.

He did offer some other advice as well. He told me that sometimes we need to take chances. His point was that if I really want to move to NC, I should just do it. Just pack up my things and move. Take the chance that there will be something there for me to do. He pointed out that he and his wife had done that when they came back to VT. And he does have a point. Sometimes you do need to take chances and a leap of faith. I just don't know if this is one of those times. I have a coveted position with the Federal Government. Benefits like these don't come along every day. But it is a thought to ponder.

Oh and an update to my weekend. I did go see the Ex's grandmother. She didn't know who I was. It broke my heart and I can't think about it, let alone write about it.

2 comments:

Marie said...

HOLY COW!!! We don't talk for one freakin day & you have major break throughs like this...dang. :)
AWESOME STUFF FOR SURE!

Anonymous said...

Greetings future student, this is Dr. Kearsley, Director of the Master of Arts in Diplomacy program at Norwich University! I saw your note and thought I would drop you a line! I do hope to see your application soon. Dr. K. Good luck on your application. You can reach me for further updates at hkearsle@norwich.edu