01 March 2008

Vacation Day 7

Ahhh... back to the routine of homework. *sigh. I've been reading for the last few hours. At least with this stuff it seems to be an easier read than last semester's work. Maybe more intuitive? I'm not sure, but the articles have been pretty easy to get through. One can only hope that this pattern will continue!

So, good news, the friend I was worried about skyped me last night. I was right, things aren't great, but I think just talking may have helped a bit. I hope so, at least. We didn't laugh quite as much as we usually do, but hopefully the conversation took his mind off things for a little while.

Today has been nice. Other than doing homework, I talked with Mom... which I haven't done in a while. She was telling me about the projects that they have planned for around the house once spring is finally here. Sounds like they'll be busy! And I did some more baking. Banana nut muffins that are so tender they just melt in your mouth. I'm rather proud of these to be honest! It's a new recipe that I altered a bit, but what great results! Certainly one I'll use again and again... I'm thinking that maybe dates and walnuts would be a neat mix, too. Maybe adding oats to the recipe too. (I'm envisioning something that's similar to these date nut bars that my Mom used to make at Christmas time when I was little, but in a muffin form) And I made my Mexican lasagna... it's a bad name for it, because it's only Mexican in the sense that it has salsa and tortillas in it, but I don't know what else to call it. I use flour tortillas instead of noodles and salsa instead of marinara sauce. And then layer them both with ground turkey and refried beans and shredded cheddar. It's one of my favorites. In fact, it's one of the few meals that I'll eat the leftovers of. Another quirky thing about me, there are very few meals that I actually want to eat again after making it. (this can be quite frustrating for me since I live alone and cooking for one is not something I've mastered.) I think this is probably why I tend to eat a lot of grilled cheeses and cereal!

Oh and the brownies last night came out wonderfully. Dark chocolate with chips and walnuts... I made them in the muffin pan so that each one was individual and then frosted them with chocolate buttercream... Yummy! All from scratch, of course. I was inspired I guess! Anyway, they came out great. Certainly something I'll have to make again soon!

No comments: