09 August 2007

Loss

So, I posted the photos last night, but haven't written much recently. So, here goes. This past week has been a whirlwind. When we got back from CT, I found out that the ex's grandmother had died. I knew that she had been sick, I wrote about visiting her, didn't I? But loss is still hard. The funeral was on Friday and I really felt like I had to go. After all, he and I were together for 6 years. They were my family. It seemed to really mean a lot to his mother that I was there. And, really, that's all that mattered to me. She was such a dear lady. She used to crack me up. She was spunky and funny and always told it like it was.
I've realized that when you experience a new loss like this, it reminds you of all the other people you've lost. Grief is a really funny thing like that. So, I've been thinking a lot about the people in my life who have died. Cheery, no? And I've been trying to have patience with myself as I go through this, but as usual, I tend to get frustrated. Oh well, I try.
Other than that, Captain Contrary and I hung out last Thursday all day. Preschool Queen had some things to do, so we chilled. It was a ton of fun. When it was time to bring him home, he looked at me and said, "why do we have to go?" I told him that the parental units would like him to come home. He still didn't want to leave. It cracked me up.
And of course, his party was Saturday. Like I said, decorating the cake wasn't finished until 2 AM on Saturday morning, but his reaction was totally worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I actually had a lot more fun than I thought I would. I popped in a few Harry Potter audio Cd's and listened as I decorated. I've certainly learned a few lessons, and I think the more I do these things, the better I'll get. I know that this one was far from perfect, but hey, the kids just loved it and that's what is important to me.
Sunday I had drinks and dinner with a very good friend of mine at work who is leaving. I think I'll call her Arizona Chica. She's moving this weekend, and as may now be obvious, she's going to AZ. I'm really proud of her for doing this. It's a huge move! But it's going to be great for her! So we ended up being out until about midnight. We had a great time.
And this week at work I was able to be a part of some training on Human Trafficking. I really feel like I learned a ton about it. One thing that I learned was that the phrases human smuggling and human trafficking cannot be used interchangeably, although they often are.
And this brings us back up to today. Last night I was chatting with my supervisor, and first, we've found a replacement for me (who was replacing Arizona Chica) in the comm center. Thank goodness! So, anyway, he and I were chatting and he told me that although he'd like me in the unit until October, it wouldn't be a good idea since there wouldn't usually be 6 people down there. Of course I jumped on this opportunity to ask to be removed from the unit once the new guy is trained. Totally awesome, he agreed, so after next week, I don't have to be around the crazily ringing phones! Yeah!!!!

7 comments:

Little Penguin said...

what a hectic life you lead TG.. the only thing that seems to give you energy is a firm conviction in yourself.. hats off.. :)

When does uni start?

travel girl said...

LP,
Yeah, it can be pretty hectic sometimes, but there are quiet times as well...like for example this weekend (Sunday) my only plan is to watch the Netflix movies I have on the coffee table and eat popcorn!
Classes start September 3rd (Labor Day...) I'm so excited!!!
tg

Little Penguin said...

I picked up on your busy schedule and forgot to talk about the main topic of your post.. loss..

The major loss I've had in my life was my mother.. I was too young to acknowledge the huge void she would leave behind her.. but as I grow up, I realise how absolutely essential she has been and how consistent her legacy will be throughout my life..

Whenever I hear of someone passing away, I try to savour the good memories i've had with them..

Au Revoire madameoiselle!

travel girl said...

LP,
How old were you when your mother passed away?

I am so very lucky to have both of my parents still alive and very well.

tg

Little Penguin said...

it was days after i turned 9. some children may not be able to form a very clear imprint of their parents by that age but somehow, and due to the circumstances we went through, i feel like i couldn't have known her any better.

loved ones are to be treasured.. they really are..

Regards :)

Marshmallow26 said...

I am so sorry TG,

I haven't been able to access to the net according to my sister's leave ...

I am sorry for what is going on and sorry for the loss of the grandmother!!

travel girl said...

LP,
I think that may explain why you are so mature and grown up for your age. I am sure your mother would be incredibly proud of you!

Marsh,
No worries, we all get busy. Thanks for the concern...How are you doing?

tg