20 August 2007

Exciting Things Happening

So, I've just spend a fantastic morning shopping for Lead Momma's birthday present. And I have to say, if I have to mail a birthday present, it's always late. This time, I'm happy to say that her birthday isn't until the end of the week, and her gift has been wrapped, boxed and dropped at the post office just about an hour ago! I think someone needs to make a note of this. It may never happen again!

I also got my textbooks for my first class today. I have to say, I'm very excited about this. Although I was a little scared when I picked up the box. It was HEAVY. I wanted to take a photo of the stack of books to post, but my darn batteries in the camera have died, and I can't seem to find any new ones around here. I promise at some point this week, there will be a pic. There are four books for this class, two of which are longer than 800 pages. The other two are around 300 pages each. I was talking to a man I work with about grad school and he said that from his experience, graduate level classes are about 3 times the amount of work of an undergrad class. I think he may be right. I think I'll start reading now!

I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but I decided to adopt a soldier. This is a charity organization that matches up soldiers who don't get mail/packages with someone in the States who commits to sending at least 1 letter a week and one package a month for the duration of the soldier's deployment. It breaks my heart that there are men and women out there who never get any mail. Anyway, I decided that this was the least I could do. All of this is to say that I got an email today from my soldier. I was totally surprised for a few reasons. We're warned not to expect to hear from them, and my first letter was mailed just last week. I can't believe how efficiently the mail was able to get to him. And what I've realized about this, the statement 'it feels better to give than receive' is 100% true. I feel absolutely great about being able do this! It's just my small part.

No comments: